Hello friends, I have been absent around here for a long time because, well…….. life! However, yesterday I made a recipe that I just had to share with you all.
I found the SkinnyTaste blog several years ago when I was attending Weight Watchers. All of the recipes on Gina Homolka’s site include Weight Watchers points and nutrition information. She has an incredible number of recipes and one that I love and have made several times is the individual meatloaves with skinny mashed potatoes. A while back she published a cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow that my cookbook club just happens to be cooking from this year.
When I saw this no-boil bagel recipe from Skinnytaste pop up on my Instagram feed, I knew I would have to try it. These bagels are about half the size of a Panera bagel and have about half the calories (300 for a Panera everything bagel and 152 for these bagels). However, the real news is that even though half the size they still have the same 10g of protein due to the greek yogurt in the recipe. I promise this recipe is EASY, EASY, EASY!
The original recipe makes only four bagels but I doubled the recipe to make eight which is what I reflect below:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups non-fat greek yogurt
2 egg whites
Everything Seasoning (see note below)
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Stir the yogurt into the flour mixture until combined.
3. Move the dough to a lightly floured countertop and knead about 15 times. The dough will be slightly sticky.
4. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into a rope about 9 inches long, then shape into a bagel.
5. Place the bagels on a baking sheet covered with a silpat or with parchment sprayed with oil. I highly recommend a silpat which I use for almost all my baking.
6. Use the egg white to wash the bagels….I gave each at least two coats.
7. Then sprinkle each bagel with Everything Seasoning. I also use this seasoning on baked chicken breasts. To make the seasoning I used:
1 T black sesame seeds
1 T white sesame seeds
2 T poppy seeds
2 T dried garlic flakes
2 T dried onion flakes
8. Bake the bagels for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Cool ten minutes before slicing if you can stand it. I will guarantee you will be starving by the time these are done, they smell soooooo good!
I am already thinking about my next batch, Asiago cheese, cinnamon….the possibilities are endless. Let me know if you try them!